iZombie

I watch TV shows, a lot, but I never felt the need to blog about it. So this blag would be the most random one so far.

A couple weeks ago I started watching the Flash because everyone around me just kept talking about it, and I always got a little superhero fever. Therefore I spent like the whole weekend finishing like 15 episodes of it and I was hooked. When I was browsing some wiki site about the Flash for more background information, probably because they are on the same TV channel, I came across some hyperlinks to a TV show called iZombie.


I'm a huge fan of zombie movies and games, 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead are like my favorite. And I always couldn't get enough of zombie games, Dying Light, the Dead Rising franchise, Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green, I've played 'em all! I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 since the day it came out, I even finished that awfully long Resident Evil 6. However, I'd never watched any zombie-related TV shows before (I'm still trying to find a good time to start the Walking Dead). So when I knew there was a new zombie TV show, I really doubted if I wanted to make time for it. However, considering it being a new program, and that zombie girl is quite pretty (I have a dude's brain, so sue me!), I was like "Hell, I only had 2 episodes to catch up, it wouldn't hurt to try!", and then I was hooked.

The idea of a crime-fighting zombie itself could really sound boring when we have something so amazing like the Supernatural. But trust me, iZombie is just good, really good.

Olivia "Liv" Moore was a medical student with a promising career and engaged to a great guy. She literally had everything, until her life was changed by a party where she got scratched by a zombie. Since the accident, she dropped out of school, broke up with her fiance, distanced herself away from everyone. She now works in a morgue to get access to brains cause she is a brain-craving zombie now. But there's more to come, when she eats a dead victim's brain, she absorbs some of the person's memories and personal traits, which would help a great deal on all those murder investigations. When we live in a world even normal people know what a zombie is, why bother wasting half of the time doing the explanation? Besides, this premise is not quite great. Therefore, one thing I really like about this show is that it only goes through all of the stuff above under 10 minutes, it even summarizes all these in comic forms in the opening credits, which was drawn by the original author of the comic books this TV show is (loosely) based upon.



Another characteristic of this show is the narrating. Liv does monologue all the time explaining the scene, but trust me, it's not boring at all, it's a necessary way to show us what she is thinking, how she feels about everything surrounding her now that she is "undead". She got a good sense of humor and knows how to entertain herself (and us). Besides, her voice really reminds me of Selena Gomez.

The characters are quite distinctive too. Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti is my favorite, you can't just take your eyes off his energetic and enthusiastic personality. How long would it take for the detective Clive Babinaux to stop believing Ravi's claim that Liv's a psychic and find out about Liv's true self really interests me too. Clive is not stupid.



Now there're only 5 episodes, which is only almost half way through the whole season, but there're still a lot to tell about this show. Yes, crime solving plays a major part, but it's not as intense and serious as you think it would be (I even found some plot holes when I was contemplating it).  But besides pursuing murderers, there're still a lot of stuff going on, like how Liv copes with her new "life", whether Liv and his fiance Major would reconcile (I'm so satisfied that love drama doesn;t play a large part), and what Blaine (the bad guy zombie) is up to. I can't wait to know! Also, this is not a horror TV series, so it's not scary at all, though Liv would still go "full-on zombie mode" occasionally, which is pretty badass!

Overall, I really enjoyed watching every single episode of that show. If they keep upping their game, this show would be spectacular! Let's hope I didn't just jinx it by writing all these.

Oh, have I told you Liv graduated from University of Washington? I'm gonna be there in June!

Kev
iZombie iZombie Reviewed by Kevin Lai on 6:49:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.